This is the best balance between easy & tasty that I’ve used yet.
- 3 lbs pork shoulder or butt, cut to small pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves (or equivalent) crushed garlic – I use powder, about 1 tsp
- 3/4 Cup orange juice – I don’t use this at all due to the sugars, and it still tastes great
- 1/4 Cup lime juice
- 1 Tbs cumin powder
- 1 Tbschili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder OR 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs oil of your choice
Mix all the non-meat ingredients. Put the meat in a crock pot and pour the seasonings on it. Set it on low and cook overnight or all day. If you are nice, you can shred the pieces with a fork. If you are lazy, your eaters can do this on their plates. Don’t throw away the crock pot juice – use it as a gravy.
However, if you shred all the pork it is now ready to spread out on a cookie sheet to broil for about 5-10 minutes (depending on your oven). It is amazing, with crispy edges.
6. Shred the pork with two forks.
7. Serve carnitas in lettuce wedges or tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Source (I modified a bit of the instructions)